Dal fry is a very popular Indian dish. In many Indian homes tuar dal or arhar dal is a part of daily lunch or dinner. Its a simple, healthy yet delicious dish and a best choice for light meal. You can have dal with roti, naan, it tastes beat with Jeera Rice/Cumin Rice.
Whenever I don’t have much time I always make dal fry and jeera rice 🙂 it is a simple and quick meal.
Following is the detailed recipe of Dal Fry / Tuar Dal, try it and let me know your reviews in comments
- ½ Packet Vermicelli
- 500 ml Milk
- 2 Tsp. Ghee (clarified butter)
- 4-5 Tsp. Sugar / As per taste
- 3-4 Almonds (chopped)
- 3-4 Cashew nuts (chopped)
- A pinch of saffron threads
- Crush the Vermicelli.
- Heat ghee in a kadhai/pan. Add crushed vermicelli and fry for few seconds (stir continuously to avoid burning)
- Add milk.
- Cook till vermicelli get cooked and milk get thicker. (5-7 minutes stirring continuously on medium flame)
- Add sugar, nuts & saffron threads. Stir and cook for another 1 minute.
- Sewai kheer is ready, Enjoy it hot or cold as you like.
- I used roasted vermicelli so it don't need to roast more but if you are using simple vermicelli then roast it till it turns golden brown but make sure it wont get burned
1. Wash Tuar / Arhar Dal properly.
2. In a Pressure Pan/Cooker add the dal + half teaspoon turmeric powder + a pinch of salt and 3½ cups of water. Mix it well and pressure cook till tender. Approx 2-3 whistles.
3. Heat oil in a pan or kadhai.
4. Add mustard seeds and cumin seeds cook for a minute, add curry leaves + ginger + garlic and hing. Stir for a minute, add onion + a pinch of salt + green chilly & cook for 2-3 minutes (adding some salt to onions will help to cook onions fastly).
5. When onions turn light brown add chopped tomato and cook till oil gets separated.
6. When oil starts separating add red chilly powder + garam masala + turmeric powder and salt, stir for 2 min.
7. Add some water to the masala. Cook till oil saperates so that all the added ingredients will get cooked properly.
8. Add cooked dal to it, Cook it on medium heat stiring continuously for 5 minutes. Taste the dal, if needed adjust spices as per your taste. Cook the dal for another 3-5 minutes on low flame.
Garnish with chopped green coriander leaves and Serve hot with Roti or Jeera Rice/Cumin Rice.